A large audience enjoyed Forsyth County Public Library’s Fam Brownlee October 9th at the Central Library for his presentation of Civil War 150: The War as Seen from Home a discussion of life in Forsyth on the verge of the Civil War. You might also enjoy this selection of historic photographs of Winston and Salem taken on various dates in the mid-19th century.
These images are all curated on Digital Forsyth, the library’s joint venture with Old Salem Museum and Gardens and the libraries of Winston-Salem State University and Wake Forest University. Molly Rawls is the librarian for Digital Forsyth. Michelle Portman Walter, historic preservationist and board member of the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership graciously chose and recommended the images to include in this gallery. Brief information about each image from Digital Forsyth appears following the slide show.
Belo House. War Time
This image depicts the 1849 Belo House with several unidentified individuals carefully arranged on the second-story porch, front porch, walk, street stairs, and Main Street in Salem. A wagon, horse, and driver are also seen on Main Street.
John Henry Leinbach House Stable and Grainery
John Henry Leinbach, a shoemaker, and his wife Elizabeth built their house on Main Street in Salem in 1822. Their son, Henry, was a prominent early photographer in Salem. In 1868 Henry built a daguerreotype gallery on the north end of the house, which was removed when the house was restored in 1962. This view of the backlot of the Lienbach House is attributed to Henry Leinbach.
This is one of the earliest surviving photographs of the corner of Fourth and Liberty streets in Winston. The building on the left is the Winston Hotel, operated by Griffith and Moore. To the right of the hotel is T.S. Black’s bakery. Samuel Smith’s drugstore is to the right of the bakery. To the right of the drugstore is Howard’s grocery and confectionary. The building on the corner to the far right is the Winston post office.
Main and South Halls , Salem College and Academy
Salem Academy and College students can be seen standing around Main Hall and peering from its windows. Robert de Schweinitz, the seventh principal of the school, can be seen standing on the porch. Students can also be seen in front of South Hall.
Salem Mill built 1827. Burned.
This photograph shows Blum’s Mill (labeled on the photograph as “Salem Mill”). Blums Mill, was located at the Broad Street Bridge, southwest of Salem. The mill was erected by Christian Blum & Co., the company formed by Jacob and Christian Blum, John Vogler, and H.R. Herbst in 1819-1820.
Spach Wagon Works
Opened in 1854 by William E. Spach, the Spach Bros. Wagon Works was known for wagons of excellent quality and workmanship. William E. Spach’s son, J.C. Spach, took over the business from his father and successfully ran it for many years. The business was located in Waughtown, south of Salem. Several unidentified workers are pictured in this photograph, including one brave man standing on the roof of the building.
Vierling House and Barn
The Vierling House on Church Street in Salem seen from the west. Built in 1802 by Dr. Samuel Benjamin Vierling, the most renowned of Salem’s early physicians. The house was home to Dr. Vierling’s large family and thriving medical practice.
View of Salem from the Southwest
This photograph is inscribed, “South-west View of Salem, N.C. 1859 or 60.”